I was very pleased with how my pickles turned out. I used the recipe below. It seems complicated but there is very little to do each day. They are a sweet pickle and can be cut into any shape or size.
8 – 5” cucumbers
I Cup coarse (pickling) salt
2 Cups vinegar
4 Cups water
2 Tsp alum
2 Cups White vinegar
2 Tsp pickling spice (example: dash of cumin, mustard powder, bay leaves, dried ginger, mustard seeds, celery seeds)
1. Wash cucumbers then cover in salt brine and let stand covered for 3 days
2. Drain then cover with cold water for 3 days (draining and covering with cold water each day)
3. Drain then cut into ½” chunks. Combine first solution and heat to boiling then pour over chunks and let stand 2 days.
4. Drain. Combine second solution and heat to boiling then pour over pickles and let stand 1 day.
5. Pour off liquid and reheat and pour over pickles again and let stand 1 day.
6. On third day pour off liquid and heat to boiling again. While liquid is heating pack pickles into sterilized jars then pour boiling syrup over them 1” shy of the top. Seal.